Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Find Your Word

For the past few years I have chosen a word of the year. It is a concept of Ali Edward's that I love. She chose a word to keep in mind all year in order to invite change in her life. You can read about it in her recent post http://aliedwards.typepad.com/_a_/2009/12/one-little-word-2010.html
As you can see from my photo above, words I have chosen are Grow, Encourage, and Nurture. And funny enough, I didn't realize Ali had chosen Nurture last year too. I am still pondering my word but so far the word "Fruitful" comes to mind. I still have a few days to mull it over. I am hoping you too will choose a word for yourself. It's not like a resolution but a statement. Choose a word that is absolutely appealing to you right now, possible something you crave or something you admire. Then once you have your word, make a project to incorporate it into your vision. Even printing it out on some favorite printed paper through the computer, stamping it out and putting it in a frame, glue it on blocks to put on a shelf.... to be reminded through the year about your word. you will be surprised how that word works it's way into your life.
Each year I do a scrapbooking layout that I have in a wooden frame on the wall above my desk. I use my 'word' as the title with the year and add 4 creative resolutions to it. It is there to remind me of the creative goals I set. Some examples over the years are:
-read my camera manual
-hand make all greeting cards
-hand make all christmas gifts
-learn a new art skill
-read books to feed my soul and find inspiration
-write actual letters to encourage friendships
-fully organize my craft space (including painting it! some may remember my red walk in closet/scrap"room")
So challenge yourself this year. Set even 3 creative goals to feed your soul. Creative resolutions are often easier to keep because they nurture our souls and don't demand deep hardships (like committing to go to the gym regularly, lol). I find creative resolutions help restore me and refresh my person. It's easy to get lost in our busy lives and forget to fill our tanks. You may not consider your self a "crafty" person but don't ever underestimate the benefits of learning. It's the process that works the muscles and bears fruit!
Feel free to post your word and/or creative resolutions below in the comments. Happy New Year to all!!!
-tania

No comments:

Post a Comment